Asperges aux oeufs et lardons
8-10 fresh asparagus spears
6-8 half-inch chucks of double-smoked bacon
2 TBL Vinegar (for poached eggs)
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Snap off asparagus bottoms where stem becomes woody
- Cut bacon into about 3/8 - 1/2 inch pieces.
- Place asparagus on small roasting pan or rimmed cookie sheet (the smaller the better). Sprinkle on a bit of olive oil and toss, then season with salt and pepper.
- Toss in bacon pieces
- Place in oven till bacon is crisp but not over-cooked, about 10 minutes. Turn off oven, but leave asparagus in with door open to keep warm
- Meanwhile, boil water in a small saucepan. When simmering, add 2 tablespoons vinegar (this helps keep the whites together). Break egg into a small custard cup or something similar and slip gently into water. Repeat with other egg. Spoon simmering water over eggs until whites are just set, about 2 minutes.
- Place asparagus and bacon onto plate, top with eggs, and season eggs.